Beauty Tips For Women Over 40
From a healing ocean swim to a 'miracle' coconut oil that nourishes your skin and softens wrinkles. This article was written with the hope to inspire women over forty to take action and celebrate their age.
Maybe you are finding a few grey hairs popping up, or your skin looks tired and dull. Or is it those few extra pounds that you are carrying around your waistline that is getting you down. No matter what your beauty concern is we promise you that you can regain back your shiny hair, radiant glow and zest for life.
Below you will find our favourite beauty tips that will have you glowing from head to toe. Covering everything from skin care and treatments, makeup, nutrition, fashion, hair care along with brain fitness and emotional health.
Beauty is not defined or limited by age, but it is important to recognise that as
your skin matures and changes, your skincare and make-up regime may need
to change too. Tailoring your make-up routine to match the maturity of your
skin is the key to ensuring you look your best at any age.
Here are a few tips (and tricks!) to keep you looking as young as you feel!
Have A Daily Skin Care Routine:
Many of us spend thousands of dollars on cosmetics but fail to follow a proper routine for our skin. If you follow these simple steps every day, you can achieve flawless skin in little time.
- Cleanse, cleanse, and cleanse: Make sure your skin is squeaky clean at all times. Try this oil cleaning method which leaves the skin feeling cleansed and hydrated.
- Exfoliation: Proper exfoliation is of utmost importance. It helps unclog pores and keeps blackheads at bay. You can use any natural scrub to remove dead cells and help generate collagen to renew and repair skin cells. Otherwise you can try making your own scrub using salt or sugar as they are excellent abrasive agents.
- Always Moisturize: A good moisturizer helps retain moisture in your skin to give you a soft and supple feel. Choose a moisturiser depending on your skin type and don’t ever use too much moisturizer as it can clog pores. Any good oil such as jojoba oil, almond oil or coconut oil works wonders as a moisturiser.
The Importance Of Daily Moisturising:
Moisturizing your skin regularly is the most important step in a healthy skin care routine. It helps keep your skin hydrated, nourished and more youthful. It also helps repair skin cells to give you soft, smooth and supple skin, while also helping improve skin texture.
Our skin faces a lot of damage due to sun exposure, pollution and other environmental factors. Hence even if you don’t have a naturally dry skin, your skin will still be prone to losing its natural moisture. A good moisturizer helps combat the damage caused to us due to our environment. It helps restore the normal balance of the skin and stops it from getting dehydrated.
These days we usually have a very hectic lifestyle and we don’t tend to pay adequate attention to our diet. Substances such as cigarettes, coffee, fizzy drinks, sugar, dairy, alcohol, junk food, etc. are very bad for our skin. They dehydrate and damage our skin cells, giving us a dull appearance. Moisturizing our skin regularly can help protect our skin from further damage caused by our lifestyle as well.
Nourish Your Skin With The Goodness of Coconut:
As we get older taking good care of our skin becomes critically important, and with all the products on the market it can become overwhelming what to buy. The secret is to follow a skin care regime that will keep your skin hydrated and nourished.
Nourishing your skin is so important because healthy skin locks in moisture which prevents your skin from drying and pre-mature ageing. Coconut oil is good for almost all kinds of skin problems and is especially effective in anti-aging. It is rich in powerful antioxidants, vitamin E and fatty acids that help restore the natural glow of the skin.
The natural healing ingredients of coconut oil help reduce fine lines and wrinkles. It also works wonders to restore the skin’s elasticity giving you a firmer and more youthful appearance. The powerful antioxidants in this oil help eliminate the free radicals and repairs damaged skin cells.
Coconut oil is filled with vitamin E which is known to boost the collagen levels in your skin. Vitamin E also helps reverse signs of sun damage, fights fine lines and wrinkles leaving your skin feeling soft and supple.
The fatty acids in coconut oil helps keep the skin feeling nourished and hydrated. It fights against the environmental stressors that make your skin age faster. It helps restore the elasticity of the skin and is proven to work even better than botox.
For nourished skin apply coconut oil all over your body twice a day. Try our No Monkey Business Coconut Oil
Many dermatologists recommend a proper night time regimen. It is believed that the skin cells just like all other cells of your body repair the damage caused to them at night while we sleep. During the day our skin is exposed to a whole range of free radicals and environmental damage. The harmful sun rays, pollution and our metabolism produce a lot of toxins that damage skin cells.
Every night wash your face thoroughly and then apply a nourishing plant oil to your skin so that the vitamins can feed and nourish your skin while you sleep.
Eat For Beauty:
Eating wholefoods are not just good for the body’s immunity; they are also known to slow the aging process. There are plenty of whole foods to choose from that are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants - all the essential things to keep you healthy and looking radiant. Dose up on green leafy vegetables, a colourful array of fruits and vegetables, nuts, beans and healthy fats. While wholefoods are known for their overall goodness, some of their greatest beauty benefits include:
- Reverses sun damage: The sun can dry your skin and kill skin cells. The nutrients from wholefoods help increase blood circulation and cell metabolism to keep your skin looking youthful and nourished. They also help generate new skin cells thus building a defence mechanism against harmful sun rays.
- Skin tightening: The density of nutrients from wholefoods are proven to reverse signs of aging by increasing cell metabolism. The skin feels firmer and rejuvenated as nutrients help in maintaining the healthy balance of the skin by keeping it moisturized and hydrated.
- Removes scars and pigmentation: Nutrients feed the skin and help in the development of new skin cells and promote a more even skin tone. Thus they are powerful agents in not just restoring skin’s vitality but also in minimizing scars and pigmentation marks.
Exercise, Exercise, Exercise:
Nothing works on your skin like a good workout. While creams and cosmetic products can help with your skin care regime, it is incomplete without a proper diet and ample exercise. These days with our busy lifestyles, we often tend to neglect our health but you must remember that when your body feels good on the inside it shows on your face. A good exercise regime has a good number of benefits not only for your health but also for your skin.
- Exercise doesn’t just help keep you in shape; it also makes your skin feel great. When we exercise, we encourage better blood circulation. Increased blood flow to the skin cells helps nourish them and keep them healthy.
- Exercise helps reduce stress levels. Dermatologists claim that high levels of stress can cause breakouts, dark circles and even early aging. With regular exercise you can effectively keep these problems at bay and maintain a youthful glow on your skin.
- Exercise also helps to increase your immunity level and acts as a natural detoxification of your body. It helps eliminate impurities and free radicals from your body giving you a clean, fresh and radiant appearance.
Drink More Water:
Water is nature’s own elixir designed to purify your body. Many people believe that water is the ultimate alternative cure for various health problems.
- It helps purify our blood, supplies more oxygen to our body and also eliminates harmful toxins and free radicals from our body.
- Water purifies your entire body by eliminating harmful toxins and free radicals from your body. It cleanses out your entire system and this is why it is recommended that we drink plenty of water. It helps you get rid of problems like acne, blemishes and also helps you fight age spots.
- It hydrates our skin and keeps it feeling nourished. Water also naturally repairs the skin cells and helps to prevent any further damage. It also helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles and keeps your skin looking firmer and more even toned.
- Water helps maintain the natural pH balance of your skin cells which helps in keeping various health problems at bay. Many health issues can simply be tackled by drinking plenty of water. Water helps restore the natural balance of your body and therefore improves the immune system.
- Drinking plenty of water also helps you achieve a more even skin tone. It helps maintain the vitality and health of your skin cells and also helps generate more skin cells.
- Water also increases blood flow and also helps increase oxygen levels in your body. This not only nourishes your skin but also gives you a natural radiant and glowing complexion.
Water benefits your skin in more ways than you can even imagine. It is seen that people who drink at least 2-3 liters of water not only have a nourished, glowing skin but also a more youthful appearance.
Face + Body Brush:
Dry and wet body brush is highly recommended to keep the skin healthy and problem free. Many think that body brushing is just a waste of time but if you take just five minutes every day for brushing your body you are bound to notice the difference. Here’s why body brushing is highly beneficial for your skin:
- Helps remove layers of dead skin cells leaving the skin feeling soft, smooth and supple.
- Brushing in a circular motion improves blood circulation thus making your skin healthier and more energized.
- Regular body brushing helps regenerate new skin cells giving you the flawless complexion you have always wanted.
- Regular body brush also energizes and stimulates nerves and nerve endings making your skin feel instantly rejuvenated.
- It helps prevent clogged pores thus giving you a radiant, blemish-free complexion.
You don’t need to make a trip to a fancy salon or a spa for this; all you need is a natural bristle brush to do the trick. You should go for something with a long handle so that you can easily reach all areas of your body. Take five minutes out every day to brush your body and you will notice the difference within a week. To read the full benefits of face and body brushing read my post here.
Prevent Hollow Eyes:
Hollow eyes are one of the most prominent signs of aging and can cause enormous embarrassment. No amount of eye makeup seems to cover hollow eyes and it’s natural that we get stressed about them! But now you can rectify this problem with these simple tips:
- Iced tea bags: Used tea bags can be chilled and placed over the eyes. Use them regularly for at least twenty minutes to instantly rejuvenate your eyes.
- Potatoes: Chilled potato slices placed over the eyes are an excellent way to prevent hollow eyes. They not only give your eyes a sparkle but also help remove dark circles.
- Cucumber: Cool cucumber slices placed over the eyes can also be used to get rid of hollow eyes. They instantly help you achieve fuller and brighter eyes.
- Basil Juice: Fresh basil juice is rich in Vitamin K and can be applied with cotton balls around the eyes. It will help prevent hollow eyes and dark circles with regular use.
- Almond Oil: Massage almond oil around the eyes every night before retiring to bed. Regular use of almond oil not only prevents hollow eyes but also eliminates fine lines and wrinkles.
Preventing A Sagging Jaw Line:
As we age our skin loses its elasticity resulting in a sagging jaw line. This is one of the most common aging problems however can be rectified very easily with these simple exercises.
- Sit straight and tilt your head backwards as far as you can go. Then keeping your mouth closed try and open and close your jaw as if you are chewing food. Repeat this twenty times and soon you will get a firmer jaw line.
- Sit straight and bring your chin down till it touches your neck and then slowly tilt your head backwards as far as you can reach. Repeat for twenty times to tighten up a sagging jaw line.
- Tilt your head backwards till you are facing the ceiling. Now open your mouth wide like a chimpanzee and close it slowly. Repeat this twenty times to get a firmer jaw line.
- Sit straight and push your chin down till it touches your neck. Now stick your tongue out and try to touch your chin with it while looking straight ahead. Repeat this for at least twenty times to get rid of a sagging jaw line.
- Sit straight and try and move your jaws as if you are chewing gum. Do this exercise continuously for five to ten minutes every day for achieving a firmer jaw line.
How to Prevent Thinning Lips:
As we age our lips start to lose their natural colour and begin to thin out. It is a very common problem that millions of women face as they get older. But now you don’t need to panic, just follow these simple instructions to achieve fuller lips.
- Keep your lips moisturized: It is important to keep your lips moisturized and nourished at all times. Regular moisturizing helps keep your lips hydrated and give them a fuller appearance.
- Apply a lip balm with sunscreen: One of the biggest problems we deal with as we age is sun damage. Using a lip balm with ample sunscreen will help protect your lips from sun damage and keep them nourished.
- Drink plenty of water: While moisturisers help on the outside, you need to enrich your lips from the inside. Drinking plenty of water ensures that your lips are perfectly hydrated.
- Exfoliate your lips: Sounds strange? Well this is extremely important as it helps get rid of dead cells from the lips. It also gives you smoother, fuller lips.
- Always use lip liners: Make sure you line your lips properly before applying lipstick. This will help create the illusion of fuller, shapelier lips.
- A tip on using lip liners: Avoid using dark lip pencils that feather and bleed. Use moisturizing lipsticks combined with soft glosses and go for depth.
Eyebrows Frame Your Entire Face:
When we talk about beauty, eyebrows are perhaps our most neglected facial feature. However, eyebrows are instrumental in making you look more beautiful as they frame your entire face. As we age, it is natural to lose eyebrows and we tend to have scanty patches instead of well-defined eyebrows. Here are three tips to give you the perfect eyebrows:
- No hard lines: Many people have a tendency to create very sharp, dark eyebrows to try and accentuate their eyebrows. However, that really makes the eyebrows stick out and look very unnatural. It makes it too obvious that you have constructed false eyebrows.
- Use natural colours: Don’t use colours that are too dark and instead choose a colour which is akin to the natural colour of your eyebrows. With light strokes just highlight your eyebrows to give it a natural as well well-defined appearance.
- Get a professional shape: Take the time and spend a little money on getting your eyebrows professionally shaped, this will restore back their balance and truly transform and lift your face. Then every few weeks maintain your shape with tweezers or go to a salon that does threading
Get the perfect brow by reading my guide here
Vibrant + Flawless Make-up
- Moisturise: The first step to achieving the best result when applying make-up to more mature skin is to temporarily plump up lines and wrinkles by applying a good moisturiser! Moisturising before applying foundation will also help your foundation to glide on easily and smoothly, giving you that sought after flawless look.
- Prime: Primer is a make-up must at any age but as your skin matures primer will become your best friend! Apply a primer between your moisturiser and makeup to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Primer will also keep your foundation and eye make-up in one place and helps to prevent clogging of pores!
- Concealer: When it comes to mature skin it is important to remember that less is more! As you mature your skin can become drier and foundation or concealer can result in a flaky finish. Reduce the amount of make-up you are applying by focussing on darker areas, such as under the eyes, and apply concealer to these areas only. To apply concealer to these darker areas, such as under the eyes, use a finger to gently dab it out and blur the edges so it blends into your foundation or skin tone.
- Eyes: Eye make-up is known for making your eyes pop! By applying eyeliner and eyeshadow, you will make your eyes the focal point of your overall look. Ditch liquid eyeliner for pencil. Although the accuracy and crisp line of a liquid eyeliner or pen is great, it can appear too harsh on ageing skin around the eyes. Swap your eyeliner pen for a soft pencil instead and use an angled make-up brush or the tip of your finger to smudge it further. If you have small eyes you should avoid lining the inside of your eyes as it can make them appear smaller. Avoid dark colours, as they will only make skin around the eyes appear heavier. A touch of shimmer in the corners of your eyes can make them appear brighter and larger. You can also try curling your lashes to open up your eyes! For tips on thicker lashes naturally read my blog post here
Lips: Thinning of lips is a common problem as we age and often results in our lipstick straying at the edges. Always line your lips before you apply lipstick to achieve fuller lips. Stick to lipsticks that are moisturising. Darker lipsticks tend have a thinning and ageing effect, unless you have dark skin or naturally plump lips. As with eyeshadow, opt for lighter shades to create the illusion of a plumper pout! Also go glossy, gloss gives our lips a plumper, fuller appearance and so should be an essential part of your makeup kit. If you are not into gloss, then try using lighter shades with a slight shimmer.
Read our holistic tips on how to apply lipstick perfectly.
- Cheeks: A sweep of blush on the apples of your cheeks can give your face a lift, but be wary of applying too much and make sure that you blend your blush into the rest of your make-up. Highlighters and illuminators are another great tool to give an instant ‘lift’ to your face.
Develop Your Own Personal Style:
Many greats have claimed that while fashion fades, style is something that is very unique and eternal. These days we have just so many options that it is easy to get totally carried away. However, it is important to remember that fashion doesn’t define you, you define fashion. Here are some style tips to get you going:
- Choose shapes wisely: Don’t go for what is in vogue, choose shapes that flatter your physique. Always remember that fashion will fade eventually, so choose styles that best suit your body.
- Don’t overdo: It is important to remember that minimalism can never go out of style. So try and keep it as simple as you can. There is nothing that can match up to a classic, minimalistic look.
- Think patterns: When you go for florals or geometric designs or even stripes, think hard about whether this look is complementing your attitude and your personality. Choose patterns that enhance the real you.
- Be confident: Nothing wears like confidence. So whenever you are heading out, wear your best smile and your most confident attitude.
- Be original: Always remember that you are unique, so never go for what everyone else is wearing. Be original with your choices and create your own signature style.
Have A Signature Scent:
While there may be plenty of alluring perfumes out there, not all perfumes go on to define us. Some perfumes linger on in our minds a whole lot more than others and the one we identify with the most becomes our signature scent.
Finding the perfume of our dreams is by no means an easy task. You need to have a keen understanding of different types of aromatic notes and then decide which types of notes appeal the most to you. Perfumes can be broadly categorized as:
- Citrus smells: Some perfumes carry the tangy, zesty punch of citrus fruits in them. These fragrances are essentially fresh; zingy that will keep you feeling vibrant and energetic all day long.
- Floral smells: Perfumes with floral essences are usually very dainty, soft and delicate. It is the perfect embellishment for the classy lady who likes to always stay connected to her feminine core. Try our rose thief botanical perfume or our sun-kissed perfume
- Oriental smells: These fragrances essentially incorporate spicy, musky and elegant aromas. If you believe in bringing out your wild side every now and then, these perfumes are your best bet.
- Woodsy smells: The aromas of the woods are enhanced in some fragrances. They are a great companion for the woman of spirit- the one who is firmly grounded and stays true to her roots.
When choosing your perfume make sure you opt for a natural perfume as artificial fragrance can have an adverse effect on our health. Read about the dangers of fragrance here.
Top Ten Hair Tips for a Youthful Look:
These sizzling hair tips will not only make you look beautiful but also make you look fresh and vibrant.
- Long Bob: This sure winner of a hairstyle creates the illusion of youth. It falls gently on your face giving you a more defined and firmer appearance.
- Damage control: Dry and damaged hair generally tends to make you look older, so make sure you deep condition regularly.
- Short wavy hair: This sort of styling really helps to make you look more vibrant and young. The soft waves fall around your face covering uneven skin tone.
- Vitamins: It is important to take ample vitamins to keep your hair in good health. Generally vitamin A, B, C and E are considered to be very important for the hair.
- Food Habits: A good diet is very important for good hair. If you want to get the lustre back into your hair then eat ample leafy greens, berries, coconut oil, nuts and seeds,
- Flirty Swing Style: Don’t go for any hair style that is very stiff and straight. It will make your features too prominent and bring out the age signs. Fun and flirty flipped ends are always a great look.
- Volume: Often as we age, our hair begins to lose its volume. Go for products that bring bounce back into your hair to give you a more vibrant appearance.
- Sleep Well: It is seen that good night’s rest reduces stress and strain that can cause to hair thin out.
- Right Colour: It is important to choose a colour that would make your skin look more radiant and glowing. Go for warmer shades to bring out your inner glow.
- Messy Styles: Go for slightly messy, more natural looks. It will take years off your face.
Power of Relaxation:
No matter how much care you take of your skin, if you don’t lead a stress-free life it is bound to show on your skin. It is seen that stress can trigger some skin problems such as acne, eczema, pigmentation marks and dark circles. This is why it is of critical importance to practice some form of relaxation on a regular basis to keep your stress levels under check.
Deep breathing: You need to breathe in till you feel your diaphragm bulging out, hold for about thirty seconds and exhale till your diaphragm goes completely in. It is said that if you do this every morning as soon as you wake up and before retiring to bed, you can really keep stress at bay.
Deep muscle relaxation: There are many stretches and exercises that can be practiced for deep muscle relaxation. These exercises invigorate the whole body by increasing blood circulation and stimulating nerve cells. If practiced every day for about ten to fifteen minutes, it is seen to really help one relax.
Meditation: Meditation is perhaps the most effective way to relax oneself. Although, it takes a little time to achieve that full concentration and be able to meditate effectively, it is known to work miracles. You can start initially with a five minute meditation process and gradually increase once you can easily find your focus. Try burning some lavender oil to induce a sense of calmness and tranquility while you meditate.
Mindful Breathing for a Youthful Glow:
It is said that if you practice effective and mindful deep breathing, you can win back the natural glow of your skin. As we age, it is common for our skin to lose its lustre and increased stress levels worsen the problem. However, just five minutes of mindful breathing everyday can help you fight signs of aging and get back the youthful glow.
A lot of skin problems are largely a result of hormonal imbalance and as we age we suffer greatly because of our hormones. This is why we tend to get age spots, dark circles and pigmentation marks as we grow older. It is proven that mindful breathing exercises help maintain the hormonal balance of your body.
Mindful breathing exercises also help improve the blood circulation of your body. It also helps the blood absorb more oxygen and eliminate harmful toxins and free radicals from your body. Increased blood circulation helps repair damaged skin cells and also helps regenerate newer skin cells, thus giving you a more radiant skin.
Lastly, mindful breathing helps lower stress levels. A lot of skin problems are directly linked to stress. Thus it is seen that when we lead a stress-free, healthy lifestyle we tend to have a more glowing complexion.
The brain is perhaps the most powerful organ of the human body. It controls all aspects of the human body and thus keeping your brain in good health is extremely important. Many people believe that mind games not only stimulate the brain but also help maintain a younger and more energetic appearance. Not to mention give you a more youthful alertness and attention span. For any activity to be an effective mind game, it needs to:
- Incorporate more than one of your senses.
- Engage your attention.
- Break away from the normal routine.
There are many types of mind games that one can play to effectively increase brain stimulation and activity.
- Memorizing games: There are many memorizing games that are extremely helpful in stimulating the brain. They not only help improve your memory but also increase neural activity in your brain.
- Perceptual games: These games are generally aimed at improving your spatial abilities. They improve your judgment of distance, depth, length, etc. for an object.
- Analytical games: Such as Sudoku or puzzles are effective ways of stimulating the brain. They are seen to increase neural activity in the brain cells.
Celebrate Your Age:
Our society has a tendency of portraying age rather negatively. Even when we see media images, older people are always shown with health problems, skin problems, etc. Hence, it only but natural, that we tend to worry immensely about getting older! However, aging is a process driven by nature and there is nothing ugly about it – infact it is the opposite, it is a beautiful process.
As we get older, we also get wiser. Our years of experience tell on our face making us look even more beautiful. While, there is fresh energy and vibrancy in youth there is less grace, experience and class in them as well. And, there is a definite lack of maturity in them.
So take your age in your stride and be proud to have come this far – every birthday is a blessing. Celebrate your age without feeling ashamed about it. While makeup and skin care remedies are all there to help you, nothing can make you look good unless you feel it deep within.
It is important to be confident and happy always as it definitely reflects on your face. People who are confident and happy tend to be less stressed out and look more radiant and beautiful. So break away from the barriers age and society tend to draw around you and enjoy the wisdom and experience age brings with it. You truly have a lot to offer the world. Never forget that.
From The Archives