Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thick and defined brows aren’t just for those born with a naturally perfect pair. Using pencils and powders in the right way can work wonders, and can help to give you the defined, yet natural brows that you’re looking for.
With well-defined brows your eyes are enhanced, bringing attention to their natural beauty, and will define your entire face too. Think Cara Delevigne, Emma Watson and Penelope Cruz. You’ll need a spoolie brush (a mascara wand minus the
mascara), an eyebrow pencil, an angled brush, matte eyeshadow and highlighter powder. Organise your tools then simply follow the steps below.
Brow maintenance is one of life’s many little necessities. For gorgeous looking brows, keep on top of plucking/ waxing so that you have a ready base to work with. Eyebrows are the most defining feature of your face – they frame your eyes. You need to tread lightly when altering your eyebrows as the mistake of one over-plucked hair can lead to major eyebrow mishaps. For eyebrow perfection follow these insider secrets:
- Cleanse the eyebrow area first.
- Hold a pencil flat along the side of your nose, aligning the corner of the nose and the tear duct. This is where your eyebrows should start. Then move the pencil to align the corner of the nose with the outer corner of the eye- this is where your eyebrow should end.
- Start at the middle of the brow and work outwards, removing a continuous line of hairs, one at a time. Always pluck hairs one line at a time underneath the brow, then stand back and glance at your overall look before plucking another line.
- Follow the natural shape of your eyebrows. Your eye shape will naturally determine what shape eyebrows suit your face best - whether you should go really thin, or retain a slightly fuller feel.
- Use a spoolie brush to brush your eyebrows upwards, then trim the tops into a straight and even line.
- Take the time and spend a little money on getting your eyebrows professionally shaped, this will restore back their balance and truly transform and lift your face. Then every few weeks maintain your shape with tweezers.
Fill Them In:
Get a more defined look by filling in patchy sections with an eyebrow pencil.
- Softly fill in any sparse areas of your with a pencil, using short feathery strokes to mimic your natural hairs.
- Don’t use colours that are too dark and instead choose a colour which is akin to the natural colour of your eyebrows. With light strokes just highlight your eyebrows to give it a natural well-defined appearance.
- No hard lines. Many people have a tendency to create very sharp, dark eyebrows to try and accentuate their eyebrows. However, that really makes the eyebrows stick out and look very unnatural. It makes it too obvious that you have constructed false eyebrows.
- Now fill them in some more using a similarly coloured matte eyeshadow and angled brush. This define the shape of your brows even more. Combining palettes to create a custom colour is also a good way to go.
- Using a spoolie brush, brush through the brows to blend your colour and help smooth any harsh lines. If you need more colour, just repeat.
The Finishing Touches:
- To further define your handy work and ensure it lasts all day long, use a coloured or clear gel to set your brows in place.
- Finally, apply a lighter eye shadow or highlighter along your brow bone to highlight your arch and create definition between your brow and eyelid.
Ta-da! Say hello to your defined and gorgeous brows. With or without any additional make-up you’ll have beautiful looking brows ready for day or night.