The Art Of Aging Gracefully
What is the secret to ageing gracefully? It is not as elusive as society makes out. It is not in some wonder drug, Botox, miracle cream, money, big house, happy marriage, career achievement and so forth. Ageing gracefully is as simple as nourishing your mind, body and spirit and finding harmony and balance within your everyday.
This whole ageing thing is monopolising the market as companies cash in on the latest anti-ageing cure. Many of us have fallen for the propaganda and bought into things that promise to give us youth and beauty in hope to rebuild our worth, confidence and power. Just like the beauty of a caterpillar who turns into an enchanting butterfly, getting older and wiser is a beautiful process, it’s the soulful shift from being a girl to becoming a woman. Instead of dreading it, we need to embrace who we are and the lessons we have learnt over our years.
Many of you will agree with me that there is nothing more beautiful than a women who owns her own power. Like a fine bottle of wine, getting older produces a more radiant and lively soul. Here are some ways to help you age gracefully – just as life always intended.
- Feel the rhythm of the universe and connect with nature, become one with what is around you. Be present in the moment, don’t wish to be anywhere else.
- Breathe. Inhale positivity and inspiration and exhale negativity and doubt. Connect with your Chi or life-force. Every breath connects you with your spirit and energises your cells. Mindful breathing nourishes both your body and soul.
- It is very healing to connect with people who uplift you. Think about the people who make you feel alive, happy, energised and optimistic. Make an effort to spend more time with them.
- Fill your home with music that moves your soul. Music has the power to heal, uplift and transform.
- Bring the gift of nature into your home – fresh flowers. The simple beauty and aroma of fresh flowers will add a little luxury and spark into your day.
- Practice the F bomb – Forgiveness. By learning to open your heart, showing compassion, not judging and then forgiving will allow your spirit to reach a higher awareness. You will feel lighter, brighter and more inspired.
- Be of service to others. Give some of your own time and energy to help out other people. Some ways can be volunteer work, giving a little money, giving compliments, listening to people or encouraging other people’s dreams.
- Eat a diet rich in wholefoods and low in sugar and artificial additives. Harmonise your body and soul by eating as close to nature as possible.
- Move your body. Do something for 30 minutes everyday. Make sure that it is something you enjoy like walking, paddling, surfing, yoga etc.
- Don’t have any regrets. Know that you are where you are today because of the choices you have made in the past.
- Stop trying to be what you think you should be…and just be who you truly are. Your soul needs your truth. The world needs your truth. Start living your truth today.
- Start today. Everything that you want to do – start today. You are never to old and it is never to late. There are many opportunities to be found in “the now”.
- Be kind and show compassion. Everyone and everything is doing the best they can with what they know/ or have. The world is much more colourful because of our differences.
- Respect your body and health – have a regular check-up by your doctor.
- You get stronger and wiser every year. With each birthday you are blessed to celebrate – remember that wisdom, resilience and a mature perspective are your well-earned gifts.
- Show up to life. Try something new, be brave and explore the world. Put your heart and soul on the line, and go play in the world. The world is so big and the possibilities are endless. Just because one door may have closed there are millions of other doors waiting to be opened.
- Dream big. Stop thinking that you don’t deserve that or that it is just a silly pipe dream. Go fulfill some of those longtime dreams. If you have the power to dream it, then you have the power to achieve it.
- Beauty is not measured in wrinkles, clothes or weight. Remember true beauty shines from the heart. Somebody who is radiant and beautiful – their eyes shine a little brighter, they have a beautiful energy/aura around them and they transmit at a higher and more loving frequency. You have met these people, you know exactly what I mean. True beauty not only can be seen, but it can be felt.
- Simplify your life and work less. You don’t need a big income to live a beautiful life. Choose to get rid of the clutter in your life so that you have the space to truly see the simple luxuries of everyday. Whether it is sipping tea out of a beautiful china cup, watering your lavender plant or wearing white cashmere socks – choose to appreciate the smaller and finer things in life.
- Learn to say no. Only you know your boundaries and limitations, honour them by saying no at times. Don’t be afraid of saying what you truly think. You are not responsible for how other people feel – it will only leave you feeling exhausted if your always worried about how somebody else is going to feel. To be open, honest, caring and non-judgemental is to speak your truth. You are doing a dishonour to yourself and others if you don’t speak your truth and then bask in the resentment that follows.
- Stop making excuses. Say it for what it is. If you are late because you felt like sleeping in – don’t make up some common excuse and blame it on the traffic.
- Always know that happiness is a choice and not a destination. If you choose to…you can be happy NOW. Life is a precious gift and there is beauty to be seen and experienced everywhere – you just have to choose to see it.
- Live with a grateful heart. Stop focusing on what you don’t have and focus on what you actually do have. You will be surprised at how abundant your life actually is.