Botanical steam facials are a holistic self-care ritual I’ve been gifting myself every Sunday afternoon. The essential oils and natural plant matter has a deep therapeutic effect on the skin, the mind and the overall well-being of the body.
DIY botanical facial steams are super easy to do at home, all you need is a selection of fresh or dried herbs, a few flowers, some oils, hot water, a bowl and a towel.
Afterwards, my skin is left feeling soft, hydrated and nourished. Because I only ever use natural plant matter the pure energy from the plant is absorbed through my pores and into my body - my energetic vibration always increases tenfold. The medicine of plants and their ability to bring us such joy and wellness is something I am forever grateful for.
It’s simple wellness rituals like these that help cultivate self-love and gratitude.
The benefits Of A Botanical Steam Facial
- Boosts circulation. The warm steam increases your body temperature, causing your skin’s blood vessels to dilate, which improves blood flow, which then ultimately nourishes the skin and promotes a clear complexion.
- Hydrates and oxygenates your skin. The moisture from the heat plumps out skin cells and revives dry, dehydrated and tired-looking skin.
- Deep cleans your skin. Warm steam softens the skin’s surface, which makes it easier for bacteria and dirt to exit pores, leaving you with cleansed skin and unclogged pores..
- Promotes a healthy glow. The increased blood circulation beneath the skin, combined with a boost of hydration to the surface, will leave you looking fresh faced and dewy.
- Calms the nervous system. The aromas have a healing and calming effect on the mind, making it a beautiful and holistic way to help manage stress and anxiety.
- Promotes holistic wellness. When herbs, flowers and essential oils are added to your facial steam, the heat releases the healing properties contained within the plant material, this is then carried into your pores and into your bloodstream.
- Relaxes facial muscles. Experts claim that the heat can stimulate certain facial muscles, leading to fewer lines and wrinkles.
How to give yourself a herbal facial steam
- Fill a large bowl with boiling water. For a little boost add a handful of herbs, fresh flowers, sliced fruit or a few drops of essential oil (about 1/3 cup fresh or dried herbs and fruit slices per 4 cups of water). For a super luxe facial you could put a few drops of our botanical perfume into the water.
- Clean face thoroughly before giving yourself a steam facial and tie hair back so it won’t hang loose around your face.
- Let the bowl stand for 5 minutes, as a gentle heat is all that is needed.
- Place a medium-sized towel over your head and neck and then lean forward over the bowl.
- Close your eyes and relax. Steam for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Pat your skin dry with a clean towel and apply a nourishing moisturiser.
Herbs for your skin type
Normal to dry skin – Lavender and chamomile essential oils.
Normal to oily skin – A few sprigs of fresh mint and a slice of lemon
Dry Skin – Evening primrose oil or jojoba carrier oil.