Along with the five senses sight, sound, scent, taste and touch, women have two other senses. They are her intuitive sense ‘knowing’ and her sense of rapture and reverence ‘wonder’– From the book Romancing the Ordinary by Sarah Ban Breathnach
Living a life embracing simple luxuries is a celebration of your senses while falling passionately in love with life despite all its complexities, compromises and contradictions. It is about finding beauty and sensual delight in life, recipes, nature, chores, rituals, decorating, people and fashion. It is about seducing the most important person in your life – YOU.
Simple luxuries bring beauty and grace no matter what your income, location or situation. The simple luxe life is something that we can all achieve. Choose to seek quality rather than quantity, personal style instead of trendy fashion, truth instead of expectation, knowledge instead of resentment, happiness instead of suffering and homemade comforts rather than commercially mass produced goods.
70 ways to add simple luxuries in your day
1. Start the day with fresh berries
2. Keep a journal – it can be a dream journal, gratitude journal or maybe a journal full of inspiring quotes.
3. Use a few drops of essential oils in your washing machine so that your clothes come out smelling heavenly
4. Pack a thermos and fresh homemade cookies and go for a walk in nature and stop off and have a picnic.
5. Wear hand-knitted socks.
6. Make a beautiful bed – with freshly laundered crisp sheets that smell like flowers.
7. Connect with Mother Nature and dig in the dirt – wear an oversized man’s blouse, some shorts, a big hat and sip on some homemade lemonade.
8. Bring fresh flowers into your home – place one singular flower in a recycled glass bottle next to your bed and one as you walk in your front door.
9. Use cloth napkins for every meal.
10. Savour the smoothness of a dark chocolate truffle [vegan style of course].
11. Get a beautiful cushion and lie on the floor and listen to some recorded affirmations and mantras.
12. Get a make-over at your local department store.
13. Always use your favourite dinner set, tea cups and silverware.
14. Sip organic red wine on a cold winter’s night in front of the fire.
15. Buy and wear often a pair of glamorous high heels.
16. Set your dinner table nice before every meal.
17. Make yourself a green smoothie and pour and drink it from a beautiful glass. Savour the nourishment – imagine the nutrients feeding every cell in your body.
18. Put on some Italian music, sip some organic red wine, slip on your favourite apron and make your favourite home cooked vegan meal.
19. Give yourself a DIY holistic facial.
20. Have a tea bath, put on your freshly washed robe and slippers, order take-in, pour a glass of wine and watch sex and the city re-runs.
21. Let your creative inspiration roam free – write, draw, paint, dance – and allow yourself to get lost in the moment.
22. Rediscover books you loved as a child.
23. Always wear nice underwear, and your signature perfume.
24. Plant a window box of lavender, rosemary, thyme or sage.
25. Buy some Chantilly lace.
26. Simmer cinnamon sticks on the stove – they make for a warm and welcoming aroma in your home.
27. Have a hot shower, lather your body in some sweet almond oil and then snuggle in your favourite blanket.
28. Visit your local farmer’s market and smell the earthy aroma of the fruits and veggies.
29. Go to a local café alone and mindfully sip your chai latte while people watching and savouring the ambience.
30. Go shopping for treasures at your local charity store; finding old vintage chests is always a treat.
31. Wear a scarf.
32. Gather up some magazines and cut out all your favourite pictures – then make a vision board.
33. Have a date with sunshine. Go for a walk in nature, feel the warmth of the sun soak into your skin.
34. Go to bed early and put a few drops of lavender oil in your oil burner for some shut eye bliss.
35. Greet each morning with a sacred morning ritual.
36. Go for an ocean swim, let the rhythm of the waves rock you and feel the gentle salt sea breeze kiss your skin.
37. Practice yoga every day.
38. Keep fruit infused water in your fridge – simply chop up oranges, lemons, berries and put them in your water jug.
39. Visit a local arts and craft market.
40. Make your own jam, preserves and oils.
41. Burn some oils, put on your favourite guided meditation and drop to your butt and meditate.
42. Drink herbal tea out of the prettiest china cup you can find in your home.
43. Make some herbal potpourri pouches to hang in your closet – so each time you open your wardrobe you are seduced by thy aroma.
44. Turn off the television, turn on a lamp and read.
45. Make a batch of old fashioned vegan chocolate fudge.
46. Dress up in your favourite outfit, put on some lip-gloss, your favourite shoes and embrace your feminine power.
47. Treat yourself and put some flowers on your desk.
48. Create a sacred space in your home.
49. Enliven your body with a gentle morning run.
50. Drink some hot apple cider in front of your fireplace.
51. Give away half your clothes and actually have space in your closet.
52. Walk on soft grass in bare feet.
53. Watch the sunset.
54. Organise and de-clutter one junk draw.
55. Buy a record player and then go hunt out some records to play…a great vintage treat.
56. Cook an apple pie.
57. Hang fairy lights outside in a tree or on your balcony and turn them on at night – it looks ever so enchanting.
58. If you live by the ocean, collect some seashells.
59. Let your home breath, open up the windows in your house and let the breeze kiss your skin.
60. Grow some ivy around your front door.
61. Organise your linen cupboard
62. Wear red lipstick or gloss.
63. Relax and unwind with olives and red wine.
64. Give yourself a manicure and pedicure.
65. Sit in a park and people watch.
66. Make a nutritious homemade soup.
67. Buy some hessian grocery bags – the smell is so earthy and you’re doing your bit by not using plastic bags.
68. Wear your favourite earrings to clean your house.
69. Pamper yourself with a home body scrub.
70. Hang a hammock and lie in it.